Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Magic Muffin Formula

Chocolate Chocolate Chip Oatmeal
Creative Baking?
Can there be such a thing?

I have been told.... "Baking is an exact science. If you don't add exactly the right amount of ingredients listed on the recipe,  your baking will flop.'



Not so with my newly discovered MAGIC MUFFIN FORMULA (or "recipe" if you must).

********************************************************************

MAGIC MUFFIN FORMULA

Mix all wet ingredients in the bottom of a bowl:
4 eggs
1 cup dairy (your choice milk, yogurt, sour cream, buttermilk)
1/4 cup sweet stuff (your choice honey, sugar, brown sugar, maple syrup)
1 cup apple sauce or oil
splash of vanilla

After that stuff is well mixed...
sprinkle over the top
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tbsp spices (whatever seems to match, cinnamon, nutmeg, pumpkin pie spice, cloves etc)
2 cups dry ingredients (you can use all white flour or go half and half with oatmeal, whole wheat flour or bran)
DONT MIX YET

now it is time for the fun stuff...
You can add about 1 cup of whatever you fancy:
  • grated carrot, zucchini or apple
  • dried fruit
  • fresh fruit
  • chocolate chips
  • coconut
  • or go nuts with nuts

I put them in at 350 until they are springy in the middle.

************************************************************************

Eventually I think I would like to make a savory muffin with cornmeal and cheddar... or cheddar and herbs... or cheese and bacon.... or or or.(okay slow down Heather).

Banana Blueberry Muffin
Today I made Chocolate Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Muffins (with ground flax seeds shhh don't tell the kids). I added cocoa and oatmeal in my dry mix this time. Hint: Anytime I add oatmeal I usually let the whole mix sit for a bit to soften up the oatmeal.

I have made Bananna Blueberry.

 ... and just plain banana and oatmeal raisin and I have even tried making some really healthy ones with yogurt, applesauce and honey (no fat, no sugar) Every time they are different, every time delicious.

I love this formula because I can be as creative as I want. Using any flavor combination I can think of and use up any ripe fruit I may have.

PLUS + if you make them you get to name them...
I am thinking the next ones might be ..... APPLE CIN-TASTIC (I have some apples to use up).

No comments:

Post a Comment